You can use frozen or fresh octopus. If you are using fresh, make sure you wash it very well
Serves 8 people
- 1.3kg (3lb) octopus (don’t use head)
- 1 bay leaf
- coarse sea salt
- 1 green pepper, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 4 – 5 cherry tomatoes, quartered (optional)
- 2 tablespoons (2 American tablespoons + 2 teaspoons) red wine or sherry vinegar
- 6 tablespoons (6 American tablespoons + 6 teaspoons) extra virgin olive oil
- Fill a large saucepan with water. As soon as the water has come to the boil, use tongs to dip the octopus in and out of the water rapidly for 3 or 4 times – the tentacles will curl up.
- Then leave the octopus in the saucepan and continue to cook on medium heat until it is cooked and tender, 40 minutes approximately (stick a fork into the flesh to check if it is tender).
- Turn off the heat and allow the octopus to sit in the water for 5 minutes. Remove the octopus from the water and shake off the excess water.
- Cut into 1 inch pieces, place on big serving dish. Serve warm with crusty white bread.
- Cook the octopus as above and allow to cool completely.
- Cut into 2.5cm (1 inch) pieces. Meanwhile, mix all the ingredients for the dressing in a jam jar.
- Serve on small plates and drizzle the dressing on top.
- Serve with crusty white bread.