Perfect for the bank holiday weekend!
Prep time: Approx 1 hr
For the Pudding:
- 8 hot cross buns - cut in half and then in quarters.
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 large whole free-range eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- 250 ml full-fat milk
- 350 ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod or splash vanilla extract
- 70g butter
- 25g sultanas
- 25g golden raisins
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 25g brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180oC
- Whisk the eggs, egg yolk and sugar together in a bowl. Put the milk, cream, orange zest, juice and vanilla in a pot and slowly bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, remove from the heat and strain. Slowly pour the hot mix over the eggs and whisk together.
- Butter the hot cross bun quarters. And place in an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with the sultanas and golden raisins. Repeat again with another layer of the hot cross buns.
- Pour the custard mix over the buns and leave to soak for about half an hour. After half an hour cover the dish with tin foil.
- Place the dish into a deep oven tray and pour in enough water to come half way up the dish. This is known as a Bain Marie and will stop the custard from scrambling.
- Bake for 25-30 mins and the custard should be set. For the last 5 mins remove the foil and sprinkle the dish with the brown sugar. Bake for 5 mins, remove and allow to cool.
- Serve the dish with a nice dollop of whipped cream.