Kevin Aherne's potato pancakes with spiced chicken & roasted garlic aioli
For the pancakes
- 300g plain flour
- 200g dry mash potato
- 50 ml boiling water
- 40ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
For the chicken
- 2 free range chicken Supremes
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 lemon (zest & juice)
For the mayo
- 1 egg yolk
- 200ml rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp water
- 4 cloves roasted minced garlic
- Juice & zest of a lemon 1 tsp salt
- Mix the flour, potato & salt together, then add all the other ingredients.
- Knead for 2-3 minutes and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Roll out thinly with a rolling pin.
- Cut out pancakes with a round cutter 3- 4 inches wide.
- Fry in a frying pan with a little oil on a medium heat for 2 minutes on each side. Set aside until needed.
- Add the spices & oil together to form a paste.
- Cover the chicken in the paste & roast for 25 minutes 180 gas mark 6. Remove from the oven & leave to cool.
- Shred the chicken add the lemon juice & zest set aside until needed).
- For the aioli, whisk the egg, water, garlic & salt together
- While whisking slowly add the oil until it emulsifies
- Once you’ve added all the oil - Add the lemon juice & zest
- Assemble your pancakes aioli on the bottom, then the roast chicken & garnish with some fresh herbs like coriander, parsley or basil