A tasty Chicken Caesar Salad from Mark Moriarty.
- 2 egg yolks
- 300g salt
- 100g sugar
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- 1 tin anchovies
- 100g parmesan
- Bread crisps or croutons
- Black pepper
- 50g chicken skin
For the dressing:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 80ml Worcestershire sauce
- 800ml vegetable oil
- 6 anchovy fillets
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Lemon juice
- To make cured egg yolk, mix the sugar and salt, add the egg yolks and cover with more salt mix.
- Remove after 12 hours and place in a dry place until hard.
- Place the romaine lettuce leaves in a bowl, along with the anchovies, croutons and half the parmesan grated (reserve rest for dressing).
- Place the chicken skin on baking parchment, stretched out, cover with another layer of parchment. Place between two baking trays and cook at 180c for 15mins until crispy and golden.
- For the dressing, place the eggs, mustard, anchovies, Worcestershire sauce, parmesan and lemon juice in a blender, blend till smooth
- Reduce speed and add the oil slowly while blending, to make a basic mayonnaise, this is Caesar dressing.
- To finish, dress the romaine leaves in the dressing, finish with black pepper.
- Layer the salad in a bowl, using lettuce, croutons, anchovy fillets, and crispy chicken skin.
- Finish by grating the cured egg yolk over the top of the salad, a modern take on classic flavours.