Neven Maguire's Butterflied Lamb from Neven's Kilkenny Christmas.
- 1 x 3kg (6½lb) leg of lamb, boned and well trimmed (butterflied), roughly 5cm (2in) thick
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4 sprigs of Rosemary, chopped
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled
- 3 rooster potatoes
- 5 cloves of garlic, skin on
- 4-5 sprigs of thyme
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 400ml vegetable or chicken stock
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mix the garlic, rosemary and rapeseed oil in a bowl. Put the lamb in a shallow dish (or use a turkey bag if you have one). Rub the lamb with the oil & garlic marinade. Leave to marinade for 3-4 hours, overnight is best.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F/gas mark 5).
- Using a Japanese mandolin, carefully slice the sweet potatoes and rooster potatoes. Layer the base of a lined roasting tray with the slices. Place the garlic gloves, thyme and rosemary on top followed the stock.
- Bring the lamb back up to room temperature. Heat a large non-stick frying pan until smoking hot. Gently place the lamb skin side down. Leave for 2-3 minutes until well coloured and then turn over. Transfer to the prepared roasting tray. Roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes. If you prefer your lamb more well done, cook it for an extra 15–20 minutes.
- Remove the lamb from the oven and rest in a warm place for 10 minutes. If you don’t like your lamb too pink, cover it with foil and it will continue to cook. Carve into slices and serve.