This is a delicious Autumnal cake, made with juicy plums and a hint of warming cinnamon. Serve warm with whipped cream or Crème Fraiche.
For the topping:
- 90g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 100g unsalted butter, chopped into small pieces
- 90g caster sugar
For the cake:
- 180g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 185g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 500g fresh plums, halved and stoned
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4.
- To make the topping, place the flour, butter and sugar in a bowl and rub with your fingertips until crumbly (this can be done in a food processor if you prefer).
- To make the cake, cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon and baking powder into the bowl and fold into the mixture.
- Spread into a 9in/24cm greased or non-stick springform cake tin. Top with halved plums with the cut side up.
- Sprinkle with the topping and bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
- Delicious served with cream.