Kevin Dundon's Roasted Rack of Lamb with Marmalade Crust & Potato Pie.
- 2 racks of lamb (3 bones per person approx), French trimmed
- 4 dessertspoons of orange Marmalade
- Salt & Pepper
- 500g potatoes (about 4-6 potatoes), sliced about 3-4 mm thick
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 50g fresh herbs ( tarragon, parsley…), roughly chopped
- salt and black pepper
- 200ml cream
- Flour, for dusting
- 400g ready-made puff pastry
- egg wash, made with 1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375ºC/gas mark 5.
- Remove the outer layer of fat from the lamb and using a spoon spread the marmalade over the rack. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Then, prepare the potato pie, Put the potatoes, garlic, herbs and some salt and pepper into a saucepan and pour in the cream. Cook over a moderate heat for about 6-8 minutes until the potato has softened slightly.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry and cut out a circle about 8cm (3 inches) wider than the top of your pie dish. using a sharp knife, lightly score the pastry in a lattice pattern, ensuring you don’t cut right through it.
- Pour the potato mixture into your pie dish. Brush with egg wash around the edges of the dish, then cover with the pastry. Press to secure it, then brush with more egg wash.
- And bake for 20 minutes until the pastry is light and golden.
- Place in the oven the lamb for about 25 minutes for medium, depending on how you like your meat cooked. Allow the lamb to rest for 5 minutes cover with aluminium foil.
- Carve and serve with hot!