Neven's Christmas Menu for 2017 includes a show-stopping rib of beef with a mustard crust.
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp English mustard powder
- 1.5kg (3.lb) French-trimmed rib of beef on the bone, at room temperature
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and quartered with root left intact
- 2 large carrots, halved lengthways
- 1 garlic bulb, cut in half small handful of soft thyme leaves,
- plus extra to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F/gas mark 8).
- Toast the peppercorns in a dry frying pan until aromatic, then put in a pestle and mortar and grind until cracked. Mix in the mustard and 2 teaspoons of salt. Wipe the meat with damp kitchen paper and rub with the mustard mix.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan that’s large enough to take the rib of beef. Add the beef and quickly sear until lightly browned on all sides.
- Pour the rest of the oil into a roasting tin, then add the onions, carrots, garlic halves and thyme, tossing to coat. Season to taste, then sit the seared beef in the middle of the vegetables.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 200°C (400°F/gas mark 6) and roast for 10 minutes per 450g (1lb) for rare, 12 minutes for medium-rare and 20–25 minutes for well done.
- A joint this size will take just under 1 hour to cook to medium-rare. Take out and baste halfway through the cooking time.
- When the beef is cooked to your liking, transfer to a platter with the garlic halves, cover with tin foil and leave to rest for 30 minutes while you make the gravy.