Bryan McCarthy's Blackberry, Elderberry & Almond Tart from Today with Maura and Dáithí.
- 100g butter room temperature
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g ground almond
- 100g plain flour sieved
- 110g butter at room temperature
- 110g caster sugar
- 110g ground almond
- 50g flaked almonds
- 3 eggs whisked
- 50g cornflour
- 150g blackberries & 150g elderberries (preferably picked in a hedge with your kids)
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C
- Combine all ingredients until you get a fine crumb
- Line the base of a 10 inch tart tin with butter and baking paper
- Press the crumb into the base till it is completely covered
- Bake for 5/6 minutes remove and using a spoon press the hot crumb all over being careful not to burn yourself, allow to cool
- Increase oven temperature to 180 degrees C
- Cream the butter and sugar in a mixer on full speed until pale in colour
- Combine the ground almonds and cornflour add 1/3 to the butter mix slowly while adding the egg
- Speed up the mixer to half speed and gradually add the rest of the almond mix.
- Put half the berries in the base and cover with the almond mix to 1 cm from the top of the tin place the rest of the berries on top of the almond mix and sprinkle with flaked almonds bake for 20 mins or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes then portion and serve with fresh or clotted cream & a nice cup of tea.