Aoife Noonan's Toffee Apple Brioche Bread & Butter Pudding from Today with Maura and Dáithí.
- 100g Light Brown Sugar
- 100g Unsalted Butter, cubed plus extra for greasing
- 4-5 Dessert Apples
- 250ml Cream
- 250ml Milk
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Vanilla Pod, seeds scraped
- 1 x Brioche Loaf, crusts removed and cut into slices/triangles
- 2tbsp Calvados Apple Brandy
- Preheat the oven to 120C/100C fan.
- Peel, core and slice the apples into inch thick discs.
- Heat the sugar in a pan over a medium heat and once starting to caramelise, add the butter.
- Add in the apples and cook over a low heat for few minutes to soften, turning once in the caramel. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Whisk the cream, milk, eggs and scraped vanilla seeds together in a bowl.
- Grease an oven proof dish with the extra butter and layer 1/3 of the apples in the bottom of the dish.
- Add a layer of brioche slices, followed by more apple pieces and then more brioche slices, finishing with the remaining apple. Keep any caramel left in the pan.
- Pour the custard mix over the brioche and apple and leave to soak for a few minutes.
- Place the pudding in the oven and cook for 1 hour until puffed and golden, and the custard has set. Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
- Heat the remaining caramel gently with the calvados and drizzle over the top of the cooked pudding.