JP McMahon brings his pork chops, turnip chips and kale compote to Today with Maura and Dáithí!
- 4 pork chops
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into batons
- 200g kale, destemmed and chopped
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 25g hazelnuts, crushed
- 50g butter
- 5g dried dillisk
- 30ml vinegar
- 25g sugar
- 1 sprig rosemary, chopped
- 50ml Irish rapeseed oil
- Blanch the turnip batons in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove from water and allow to cool. Fry at 140 degrees for 4 minutes. To colour, turn up fryer to 180 and fry until crispy. Sprinkle with sea salt and dillisk.
- To make the compote: blanch the kale for 1 minute. Strain and discard water. Fry the onion in some oil and half the butter. After a minute add the sugar and vinegar. Finally, fold in the kale and hazelnuts and cook briefly.
- In a large frying pan, fry the pork in the remaining butter and a little oil. Season with some sea salt and rosemary and cook until your liking. For free range pork, I cook until medium (60 degrees).