These mussels are great party food and can be served as a canapé or a starter.
- 1kg mussels, prepared
- A splash of dry white wine or water
- 25g approx. bread crumbs
For the Pesto
- A large bunch of basil leaves
- 15g mature cheddar cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 15g pine nuts
- 120 ml olive oil
- A little salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the mussels and wine into a large sauce pan and bring to a boil shaking the pan now and then for 3-4 minutes. Discard any that have not opened. Drain into a colander. When cool enough to handle remove one side of the shell.
- To make the pesto: Place the basil leaves, cheese, garlic and pine nuts in a food processor or blender. Turn on and gradually add the olive oil. Taste and season.
- Heat a frying pan and add the breadcrumbs. Allow to turn golden, stirring frequently. This will take just a couple of minutes.
- Preheat the grill. Place the mussels onto a grill rack and spoon a little the pesto onto each mussel then sprinkle some bread crumbs on top. Grill for 2-3 minutes to warm the pesto and give the breadcrumbs an extra crunch.
Recipe courtesy of Bord Bia.