The tapenade is delicious with some bread for an aperitif.
- 2 small garlic cloves
- Kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup niçoise olives, pitted
- 1⁄2 cup oil-cured Mediterranean olives, pitted
- 2 tsp. capers, rinsed, optional
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tsp. lemon zest, grated
- 1⁄2 tsp. chopped thyme or winter savory
- 2 anchovy fillets, well rinsed and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Mince the garlic, then sprinkle with a pinch of salt and press and smash into a smooth paste with the side of a knife.
- Put the garlic paste, olives, capers, lemon juice and zest, the thyme, and anchovies in a food processor and grind to a rough paste. (Alternatively, use a large chef's knife to chop the ingredients. For a smoother texture, purée for a while longer in the food processor).
- Transfer to a small bowl and stir in olive oil, salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.
- Thin with more olive oil if desired.
Recipe from saveur.com.