When in France...! The French love it and it's the perfect match snack - here's the recipe for tasty and easy croque monsieur.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 slices firm white sandwich bread
- 4 ounces thinly sliced Black Forest ham
- 4 ounces sliced Gruyère cheese
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/4 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk.
- Add nutmeg and bay leaf. Increase heat to medium-high and boil until sauce thickens, whisking constantly, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat broiler. Place 2 bread slices on work surface.
- Top each with half of ham and sliced Gruyère. Top with remaining bread. Heat heavy large skillet over low heat.
- Brush sandwiches with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Add to skillet and cook until deep golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to small baking sheet.
- Spoon sauce, then grated cheese over sandwiches. Broil until cheese begins to brown, about 2 minutes.
Recipe from Epicurious.