We're all about the traditional recipes at the moment in the run up to Easter Sunday and Eunice Power is baking this Apple Tart on the Today show on RTÉ One.
- 225g / 8oz Plain Flour
- 125g / 4oz cold butter diced
- 1/4 pint / 150ml Cold Water (approx.)
- 4 Large Cooking Apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
- Sugar to sweeten apples
- Egg wash – mix 1 egg yolk with a table spoon of milk
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Sieve flour into a bowl. Add the butter and using your fingers work the butter into the flour
- Add sufficient water and mix to a soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Wrap in cling film and rest in the fridge for an hour.
- Roll out half the pastry to the size of an oven proof plate. Arrange apples on the pastry.
- Sprinkle with sugar to sweeten. Roll remaining pastry to cover the apples.
- Dampen edge of base pastry with cold water to seal.
- Press top pastry over apples to make the tart. Seal the edges by using a fork. Brush with egg wash.
- Put a cut on top of pastry to allow steam to escape and bake for 35 minutes approx
The butter should be really cold to start with.
This pastry recipe works really well in a food processor.
Watch the Today show on RTÉ One weekdays at 4.10pm.