The ultimate comfort food as the weather gets colder.
- 12 slices good-quality white bread, crusts removed
- 50 g butter, preferably unsalted
- 0.5 tsp freshly grated nutmeg, cinnamon or mixed spice
- 200 g plump raisins or sultanas
- 450 ml cream
- 225 ml milk
- 4 large organic eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 110 g sugar plus 1 tablespoon for sprinkling
- pinch of salt
- 1 x 20.5cm square ovenproof pottery or china dish
- Butter the bread and arrange 4 slices, buttered side down, in one layer in the buttered dish.
- Sprinkle the bread with half the spice and half the raisins, then arrange another layer of bread, buttered side down, over the raisins, and sprinkle the remaining nutmeg and raisins on top.
- Cover the raisins with the remaining bread, again, buttered side down.
- In a bowl whisk together the cream, milk, eggs, vanilla extract, sugar and the pinch of salt.
- Pour the mixture through a fine sieve over the bread.
- Sprinkle the tablespoonful of sugar over the top and let the mixture stand, loosely covered, at room temperature for at least 1 hour or chill overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Place the pudding in a bain-marie and pour in enough water to come half way up the sides of the baking dish. Bake the pudding in the middle of the oven for about 1 hour or until the top is crisp and golden. Serve the pudding warm with some softly whipped cream.