As seen on the Today show
- 1 whole chicken, deboned into six pieces (2 breasts [diced], 2 thighs, 2 legs, 2 wings)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 pepper, cubed
- 1 courgette, cubed
- 0.5 aubergine, cubed
- 50 g pine nuts, toasted
- handful of dried fruits, such as figs, apricots and prunes
- 250 ml px sherry
- 330 ml tomato sauce
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Season the chicken pieces and fry them until brown on all sides. When nicely browned removed the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add in the vegetables in layers. First the onions, then garlic and so on. Season to taste.
- When the vegetables are nicely caramelised return the chicken to the pan.
- Add the port, the tomato sauce, the pine nuts and the dried fruit to the pan.
- Turn down the heat and simmer the sauce until the chicken is cooked. If sauce starts to dry out you can add some chicken stock or water. Check seasoning and then serve in warm bowels