Half muffin, half doughnut - a delicious zesty treat for summer!
- 115 g lightly salted butter, softened
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tsp Dr. Oetker Sicilian Lemon Extract
- 340 g plain flour
- 2 tsp Dr. Oetker Baking Powder (2 sachets)
- 225 ml whole milk
- 140 g pouch Dr. Oetker Surprise Inside Zingy Lemon Cupcake Centre
- 100 g caster sugar
- 75 g lightly salted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan oven, gas mark 5). Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and whisk together until light and creamy. Whisk in the egg and lemon extract.
- Sift the flour and baking powder on top, and mix together, gradually adding all the milk, to make a smooth, thick batter.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin tins, smooth the tops and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until risen to a dome and firm to the touch.
- As soon as the muffins are cool enough to handle, turn them onto a wire rack. Inject each one generously through the side with the Surprise Inside Zingy Lemon Cupcake Centre.
- To decorate, while the muffins are still warm, put the sugar on a plate. Working on one muffin at a time, brush all over with melted butter and roll in the sugar to coat. Put back on the wire rack. Your cakes are now ready to serve warm, or allow to cool completely.
Recipe courtesy of Dr. Oetker
These delicious half muffin/half doughnuts are best eaten on the same day as baking for maximum freshness. They freeze well too. Simply fill the muffin with the lemon cupcake centre and allow to cool completely before freezing. We advise you to not complete step 5 before freezing but to add the butter and sugar coating once the muffins and fully defrosted.