A quick, nutritious and vegetarian meal for kids and adults alike.
- 75 g brown basmati rice
- 150 g frozen diced vegetables (to include sweetcorn and carrots)
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tblsp low-salt soy sauce
- lime wedges, to garnish (optional)
- Cook the vegetables in a pan of boiling water for 2–3 minutes, until tender, then drain.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat.
- Crack the eggs into the pan and pierce the yolks so that they break. Tilt the pan to coat the base with the eggs. Do not scramble or mix them, but allow them to just cook through, which will take about 5 minutes or so.
- Now add the cooked rice and garlic, stirring to coat.
- Tip in the vegetables with the spring onions. Toss until heated through, then sprinkle over the soy sauce.
- Divide among bowls to serve and garnish with lime wedges or freeze in portions to use at a later date.
"Whenever I cook rice, I always put on extra so that I have enough for a speedy tea the next day. This would be delicious with diced cooked chicken or cooked peeled prawns, but sometimes a vegetarian supper is just what the doctor ordered. Since the twins started on solid food, we have made much more of an effort to eat more wholegrain and brown rice – so much so that I actually enjoy their nuttier flavour now." - Neven Maguire