Rory says: "I like to roll these into little balls the size of a large grape. They can, of course, be made bigger into burger or sausage shapes. Serve these strewn over a salad of purslane leaves with a yoghurt dressing."
- 450g minced lamb
- 100g raw onion, grated on a grater
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and grated on a micro plane
- 2 tblsp chopped hyssop or 2 pinches of zatar
- 1 red chilli, medium hot, finely chopped
- 1 dsp date syrup
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil for frying
- Grated zest of 1-2 lemons
- Mix all of the ingredients for the koftas together. Fry a tiny piece in a frying pan to check the flavour and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- Form into little balls, around 10g each, and store on a parchment paper-lined tray in the fridge.
- To cook, heat a little olive oil in a heavy frying or grill pan and cook the koftas, turning regularly until they feel slightly firm to the touch.
- Transfer to a hot serving dish and sprinkle with very finely grated lemon zest. Serve immediately.