Have you ever seen bacon chops in the supermarket and wondered what to do with them? Well here is a recipe that all the family will enjoy. I'm serving them with crispy rösti, which cleverly disguises lots of nutritious root vegetables.
For the Rösti:
- 1 medium potato, peeled
- 1 medium carrot, peeled
- 1 small parsnip, peeled
- 75g (3oz) piece of turnip, peeled
- 2 tblsp snipped fresh chives
- 1 tblsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tblsp olive oil, plus extra if necessary
For the Sticky Bacon Chops:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tblsp finely shredded orange rind
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 4 thick-cut bacon chops
- 4 tblsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tblsp light muscovado sugar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/gas mark 6).
- To make the rösti, julienne the potato, carrot, parsnip and turnip on a mandolin or in a food processor.
- Put into a clean tea towel and squeeze out all of the excess water and starch.
- Place in a bowl and stir in the chives and parsley. Season to taste and mix well to combine.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan and fry 8 heaped tablespoons of the vegetable mixture for 4-5 minutes on each side, until crisp and golden.
- Transfer to a non-stick baking sheet and cook for another 3-4 minutes in the oven, until completely cooked through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the bacon chops. Heat another non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add the oil, orange rind and thyme and cook for 2-3 minutes, until crisp.
- Remove from the pan and set to one side. Add the bacon chops and season with pepper, then cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until lightly golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the orange juice and sugar to the frying pan and cook until reduced. Return the bacon chops and crispy orange rind mixture to the pan and cook the bacon chops for another minute on each side, until heated through.
- Arrange the bacon chops on warmed plates with the crispy vegetable rösti and spoon over the pan juices to serve.