Experiment with other flavour additions - a little chopped cooked ham or Parma ham, diced cooked mushrooms, a few herbs or some sliced artichoke heart can all go into the base before you crack in the egg. For a really extravagant addition, add a drop or two of white truffle oil over the cream.
- Butter, for greasing
- 2 ripe vine tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tblsp cream
- 25g (1oz) mature cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1 tsp snipped fresh chives
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Griddled sourdough bread sliced into chunky fingers, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F/gas mark 5).
- Butter 4 blini pans or ramekins and scatter the tomatoes in the bottom.
- Crack an egg into each blini pan and season with salt, then add 1 tablespoon of cream to each one and scatter the cheddar on top.
- Arrange the blini pans in a shallow roasting tin and pour in enough boiling water to come about halfway up the side of each pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, until the eggs are set and the cheese is bubbling.
- Set each blini pan on a plate and scatter over the chives, then add the chunky bread fingers to serve.