In this recipe I tend to keep the skin on the chicken whilst cooking and then remove it before service. Chicken is good to add to your diet instead of red meat.
- For the Chicken:
- 1 large free range chicken
- 1-2 large lemons
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 75g butter
- 1 whole bulb of garlic
- For the Mash:
- 900g (2lbs) Golden Wonder/Rooster Potatoes
- 50g (1¾ oz) butter
- 150ml (¼ pint) cream
- Salt and pepper
- For the Chicken, leave your butter at room temperature for up to an hour to soften slightly.
- Finely grate the zest of the lemon.
- Chop the thyme and add into the butter together with the lemon zest.
- Loosen the skin from around the chicken and with your hands manipulate some of the lemon butter under the skin (directly onto the flesh) and gently massage this into the breasts. This will make the chicken nicely fragrant. Return the skin to its original shape.
- The remainder of the whole lemon can be pushed into the cavity of the chicken with one or two sprigs of thyme and an entire bulb of garlic. This in turn will add further flavour.
- Transfer the chicken to a roasting tray and bake in the oven at 170C (325F/Gas 3) for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Allow to rest outside of the oven for a further 10-15 minutes.
- For the Mash, peel the potatoes and cut into large chunks. Place in a large saucepan and barely cover with water, cook for 25 minutes until very tender but not falling apart.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the saucepan over a low heat. Using a potato masher roughly mash the potatoes.
- Add butter and cream to the potatoes, beat with a wooden spoon until fluffy. Season with salt and pepper.