As the weather gets better so does our need to get out of the kitchen and into the garden. Kevin has some great barbeque ideas.
- 1kg minced lamb
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tblsp vegetable oil
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- a good handful of parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- dollop of dijon mustard
- 2 slices of french baguette toasted
- for the relish (optional)
- 200 g tomatoes (chopped)
- 100 ml white wine
- 50g white sugar
- chopped chilli (to taste)
- 3-4 allspice berries (crushed)
- Heat the vegetable oil in a small frying pan. Add in the red onion and fry gently until softened, stirring often, around 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the minced lamb, fried onion, cumin, coriander and cinnamon with your hands.
- Break in the egg and mix in, adding in the Parmesan and the Dijon mustard and mixing well.
- Shape the mince mixture into 6 even-sized patties using a cling film-lined jar lid or dish to get the shape.
- Chill the burgers until firm, around 2-3 hours. The burgers won't keep chilled for longer than 12 hours but can be frozen.
- While the burgers are chilling, make the relish. Place the tomatoes, white wine, vinegar, sugar, chilli and allspice in a heavy-based saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring now and then, until reduced and thickened to a jam-like consistency, around 20 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Grill or fry the chilled burgers until cooked to taste.
- Serve the burgers in lightly toasted white buns, with layers of lettuce, tomato and sliced gherkin, with the tomato relish.