Your new favourite bread?
- 3 tblsp butter
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tblsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 150 g polenta (cornmeal)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 300 ml buttermilk
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4.
- Line a 900g (2lb) loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and set aside.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Add the sugar, pepper and polenta and mix well.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and quickly stir in the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter until you have achieved a smooth, thick batter.
- Fold in the chilli until just combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown and an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Remove the loaf from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool.