A great alternative to beef burgers.
- 175 g azuki beans, soaked overnight and simmered until very soft
- 3 sticks celery (about 75g/3oz, finely chopped)
- 175 g onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 175 g carrot (washed and grated)
- 175 g wholewheat breadcrumbs
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- oil for frying
- Drain the beans well and mix in a bowl with the remaining ingredients, stirring in the eggs last.
- Form into patties, and fry for a few minutes on each side, over moderate heat, until the vegetables have softened and the burgers are nicely browned.
- Serve with brown rice and a green salad for an inexpensive yet substantial meal.