This tarte is rich and luxurious - chocolate decadence from the first crumb to the last!
- for the chocolate pastry:
- 250 g plain flour
- 100 g icing sugar
- 1 tblsp cocoa powder
- 200 g butter (very cold, cut into pieces)
- 2 egg yolks (lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water)
- for the chocolate cream filling:
- 200 ml double cream
- 300 g best quality dark chocolate
- 3 egg yolks
- 40 g unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°C/Gas 5).
- To make the pastry, put all the dry ingredients in a food processor with the butter. Whizz for a minute or so until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, then make a well in the centre and pour in the egg yolks.
- Bring together with a wooden spoon and press with your hands to form a ball.
- Cover in cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before using.
- Roll the pastry out on a cool surface and use it to line either a circular tin 28cm in diameter or a similar sized rectangular tin. Prick the pastry base with a fork.
- Cook in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until it is crispy around the edges. Remove and cool completely before filling.
- To make the filling, heat the cream until it’s almost (but not quite) boiling. Break the chocolate into pieces in a heatproof bowl, then pour over the cream and stir well. Add the egg yolks and butter and stir again.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry case and chill for 3-4 hours until it is set.