A simple yet tasty dish.
- 1 head of garlic (halved horizontally)
- 1 leg of lamb (bone in, approx 2kg/4lb)
- 6 garlic cloves (halved)
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary
- 15 g softened butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- seasoned vegetables, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Make 1 inch deep incisions in the lamb; into each incision insert the garlic cloves and rosemary sprigs.
- Rub the butter over the lamb and place the leg with the halved head of garlic in roasting dish, season and place in the oven for 1-1.5 hours (15 minutes per 450g/1lb for rare and 20 minutes for medium) turning over half way through.
- Remove the lamb from the oven, season again and transfer to a tray to rest.
To make the Gravy:
- Place the roasting pan over a moderate heat to caramelise the lamb juices; this will take 2-3 minutes.
- Strain of any excess fat.
- Pour in 350ml cold water, reduce heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Strain through a sieve.
- Serve the lamb with the gravy and seasonal vegetables.
- Lamb trimmings and chopped bones from your butcher make a great 'bed' for the lamb to sit on while cooking and add extra flavour.