Catherine's weekend dinner recipe, use with the best of Irish ingredients.
Catherine's weekend dinner recipe, use with the best of Irish ingredients!
- 1 kg stewing beef, trimmed of fat
- flour with salt and pepper added
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 dsp sugar
- 1 tsp english mustard powder
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tblsp worcestershire sauce
- a bouquet garni (4 parsley sprigs, 1 fresh thyme sprig and 1 bay leaf, tied together)
- 500 ml guinness
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Cut the meat into 1½ inch cubes and toss in the flour. Heat some of the olive oil and fry the beef until nicely browned on all sides.
- Place the meat into a deep, heavy bottom saucepan. Add some more oil to the frying pan and gently fry the onions. Deglaze the pan with some of the Guinness.
- Add the carrots, the Guinness and juices from the pan, the sugar, the Worcestershire sauce, mustard, tomatoes and bouquet garni to the saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer over a low heat for approximately 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Be careful during this time not to stir the dish too much as it can break up the meat.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if required. Garnish with chopped parsley when serving.