"This easy recipe remind you of tropical sunshine and exotic flavours. I was lucky enough to backpack in Costa Rica and the two things that immediately struck me were the miles and miles of banana plantations and the miles and miles of coconut-strewn, sandy beaches. These two fruits form the basis of my easy and impressive 'Pancake Tuesday' Costa Rican pancakes", Recipe courtesy of Simplee.
- 8 oz plain flour
- large pinch of simplee organic sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tin of low fat coconut milk
- 4 bananas
- simplee salt free seasoning
- 2 limes
- Sieve flour and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the eggs and 2 tbsp coconut milk.
- Mix with a wooden spoon. Slowly add half the remaining milk, a couple of tbsp. at a time, while constantly mixing. This eliminates the possibility of lumpy batter. Keep beating until you have plenty of bubbles.
- Add the rest of the milk and mix again.
- Cover and leave on the fridge for at least an hour.
- After your batter has chilled for at least an hour, turn your grill to a medium heat.
- Hold your bananas curved side up and slice lengthways. Do not cut all the way through, just as far as the skin on the back side. Pry open the bananas and season VERY generously with Simplee Salt free seasoning.
- Arrange on some foil and then scrunch up the edges to form a sort of bowl. This keeps the juices from messing all over your oven.
- Pop a pan on a high heat on the hob and add a little olive oil. Now put your bananas under the grill. Leave them there for at least 10 minutes.
- While they are cooking, pour a ladle of batter into the pan and swirl around to evenly distribute the batter. Wait a minute or two until the underside starts to turn golden. Now you can flip your pancake. Allow to turn golden on this side too and remove. Keep warm. Repeat until all the batter has been cooked.
- Remove bananas from the oven. You can take them from their skins or leave them on for a more rustic look.
- Arrange the pancakes in a pile and line up the bananas next to them. I like to use a big serving plate for this. Garnish with lime wedges which can then be used for a flavour enhancing kick.
- Tasty Tip: to send this over the edge, add a big scoop of good vanilla ice-cream.
Recipe courtesy of Simplee.