Beautiful to look at, and delicious to eat. These cupcakes are perfect as an edible, homemade gift at Christmas or Valentine's Day!
- 12 cupcake cases
- 175 g (6oz) soft baking margarine
- 175 g (6oz) caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp (5ml) natural vanilla extract
- 175 g (6oz) plain flour
- 2 tblsp (two sachets) baking powder (gluten free)
- 200 g (7oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 350 g (12oz) icing sugar
- bright red gel food colour
- silver shimmer spray
- 15cm (6") diameter round polystyrene cake dummy
- 7 cocktail sticks
- tissue paper and ribbon to finish
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, (Fan 170°C/Gas 5). Line a deep cupcake tin with the Cupcake Cases. In a mixing bowl, beat the margarine with the sugar until pale and creamy.
- Gradually whisk in the eggs and the Natural Vanilla Extract then sift in the flour and Baking Powder on top. Carefully mix ingredients together until well blended.
- Divide the mixture between the Cupcake Cases and bake for 20-22 minutes until risen and just firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Place the butter in a bowl and beat until soft. Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar to make a smooth, creamy icing. Colour one half of the icing with drops of Bright Red Gel Food Colour.
- Spoon the red icing down one side of a large piping bag fitted with a 1cm (1/2inch) star nozzle, and spoon the plain icing down the other side.
- Gently squeeze the icing down the bag to reach the nozzle and twist the bag closed.
- Starting in the middle of each cake, pipe the icing clockwise in a circular motion until the top of each cake is fully covered. Put the cakes on a board spaced apart and chill for about 30 minutes to firm, then spray lightly with Silver Shimmer Spray.
- If you would like to assemble the cupcakes into a bouquet, tape the polystyrene base to a side plate. Take one cupcake at a time and push a cocktail stick halfway through the paper case into the centre of the cake. Push the rest of the stick into the centre of the polystyrene.
- Continue the process using another 6 cupcakes to cover the top of the polystyrene.
- Carefully wrap tissue paper around the base and the sides of the cakes.
- Hold in place using a few pins. Tie ribbon around the polystyrene and finish with a bow, holding in place with another pin. Your bouquet is ready to present. Remove cocktail sticks before serving cupcakes.
This recipe is courtesy of Dr. Oetker.