- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan assisted oven/350°F/Gas 4). Spray five, 20cm (8inch) diameter Victoria sandwich tins with Cake Release Spray to grease.
- In a large, grease-free bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Add the Cream of Tartar, half of the sugar and the Natural Vanilla Extract. Whisk until thick and glossy.
- Sift in the flour and remaining sugar into the mixture gradually, in 4 batches, folding in gently after each addition, until well combined.
- Divide the mixture equally between 5 bowls and add a few drops of a different Gel Food Colour to each bowl to achieve desired colour level.
- Carefully fold in the Gel Food Colour and spoon the mixture into the tins.
- Smooth the tops and bake on the middle shelf in the oven for 14-15 minutes until just firm to the touch and very lightly browned. Carefully turn on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To serve, place the butter in a mixing bowl and gradually sieve and mix in all but 1 tsp icing sugar. Stir in the Natural Vanilla Extract and mix in the soft cheese.
- Mix well to make a smooth, creamy, spreadable filling.
- Spread 4 layers of sponge with sufficient filling to just cover and sandwich together. Serve dusted with remaining icing sugar.
This recipe is courtesy of Dr. Oetker.