A real marrying of international flavours
- 100 g medium rice noodles
- 800 ml chicken stock
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed or finely grated
- 4 thick slices of unpeeled root ginger (2–3mm each)
- 300 g chicken breast or thigh meat, very thinly sliced
- 2–3 tbsp fish sauce (nam pla)
- juice of 1 lime or ½ lemon
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and sliced at an angle
- 4 tblsp roughly chopped coriander
- Place the rice noodles in a bowl, cover with boiling water and allow to soak for 4–5 minutes, or according to the instructions on the packet, until softened.
- While they are soaking, place the stock in a saucepan with the garlic and ginger. Bring to the boil, then add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes until the chicken is opaque. Add the fish sauce and lime juice to taste, then add in the spring onions and coriander.
- Drain the noodles and divide between four warmed bowls, top with the soup and serve.
- Variation; Five-minute prawn noodle soup:
- Make as above, substituting the chicken with the same weight of finely sliced, raw, peeled tiger prawns.