With Wilted New Season Asparagus, Floral Petals. This is a sophisticated dish, perfect for a dinner party.
- 1 kg peeled white asparagus
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 10 spear green asparagus
- 1 garlic clove (per person)
- 4 finely chopped shallots (per person)
- pinch of salt
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 300 ml cream
- olive oil
- 300 ml whipped cream
- 3 gelatin leaves (per person)
- 10 ml truffle oil
- Finely chop the asparagus after peeling. In a saucepan sweat the asparagus, garlic and shallot gently in the oil until the shallots become translucent. Add the stock and simmer without a lid allowing the liquid to evaporate.
- When almost all of the liquid is gone add the cream and reduce to a thick sauce consistency. Now the asparagus should be very soft.
- Pour all of this into a blender and run until it has become very smooth and soup like. Pass this liquid through a very fine sieve so as to remove any stringy fibers. Add the truffle oil and check the seasoning
- Allow this to cool while soaking the gelatin in cold water, once soft add the gelatin to the asparagus puree.
- When the gelatin begins to set, about 20 minutes in the fridge, fold in the whipped cream and store in the fridge until serving.
- To prepare the wild asparagus toss in a little olive oil with salt in very hot char grill or frying pan for 30 seconds adding a little lemon juice at the end.
- For the green asparagus simply peel and blanch in salted boiling water for 2 minutes and place quickly in ice water.
- To present the dish, dress the leaves with a little lemon juice and olive oil, and simply scatter randomly through out the plate.
- Do the same to the chargrilled wild asparagus followed by the green asparagus which always needs a little extra lemon juice!
- Now spoon the mousse around the plate, remember uneven numbers always looks more appealing, I have no idea why!
- Finish by picking some flower petals and scatter on top.