Get live updates from RTÉ
Catherine Fulvio's Meringues with a Ricotta Cream and Balsamic Strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/Gas 1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Tip the egg whites with the salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat them on medium speed until the mixture resembles soft peaks.
- Turn the speed up and start to add the caster sugar, a spoonful at a time.
- Continue beating for 3-4 seconds between each addition.
- Fold in the vinegar and the cornflour. The mixture should be smooth and glossy.
- Fill a piping bag with mixture and create the shape that you prefer - hearts or circles, creating an edge to the meringue.
- Pipe small rosettes around the sides.
- Bake immediately for 1 hour or until crisp.
- To prepare the strawberries, toss them with the brown sugar, salt and vinegar.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes and then toss again. Allow to macerate for about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling, whisk the cream to soft peaks and gently fold into the ricotta.
- Sift the icing sugar and slowly add into the cream/ricotta mix together with the lemon zest.
- When the meringues are completely cooled, fill with the lemon ricotta cream and place the strawberries on top.
- Decorate with mint leaves and a dusting of icing sugar.