Prosecutors in California are reviewing a second sexual assault allegation against the actor Kevin Spacey.

It is alleged the Oscar-winning actor sexually assaulted a man in Malibu in October 2016.

A spokesperson for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said the investigation was launched on May 22.

The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said it received the case against the actor on Tuesday from the Sheriff's Department.

Greg Risling, spokesperson for the District Attorney, said the case "remains under review".

The first case prosecutors in California are considering dates from 1992.

Kevin Spacey has faced over 30 sexual assault and misconduct allegations since late 2017

The former House of Cards actor is being investigated in the UK over five allegations of sexual assault and one of assault over 22 years.

In 2017, police began investigations into an allegation of a 2008 assault in the London borough of Lambeth and two allegations of sexual assault in 2005, one in Westminster and one in Lambeth.

Last month, it was reported that London's Metropolitan Police was investigating three more allegations of sexual assault which had been made by men against the star. Two of the allegations were said to have taken place in Westminster in 1996 and Lambeth in 2008, with the third allegedly taking place in Gloucester in 2013.

Spacey has faced over 30 sexual assault and misconduct allegations since late 2017, with the first made by fellow actor Anthony Rapp. 

Spacey subsequently apologised to Rapp, who had accused him of making a sexual advance on him at a 1986 party when he was 14-years-old. Spacey has issued an "absolute" denial of all other allegations.

Since the allegations of sexual assault and misconduct against Spacey emerged, he has been fired from the Netflix series House of Cards and replaced in the completed film All the Money in the World.

London's Old Vic theatre, where Spacey served as artistic director for 12 years, said last year it had received 20 accusations of inappropriate conduct by the actor, dating from 1995 to 2013.