Robin Wright has said it was "respectful" for Netflix to cut ties with Kevin Spacey following allegations of sexual misconduct made against the actor.
The House of Cards star was interviewed by Savannah Guthrie on the Today talkshow on NBC where she broke her silence on her co-star's firing after allegations of sexual harassment and assault.
In a new clip from the interview, Wright was asked if she felt Netflix did the right thing in cutting ties with Spacey following allegations of sexual misconduct.
In a carefully worded answer, the actress said: "I don't know how to comment on that. But I think at that time, the shock was so intense all over the nation for many reasons, many stories, many people.
"I think that everybody felt it was respectful to back off."
The 52-year-old Hollywood star added of the initial allegations: "I think we were all surprised, of course, and ultimately saddened. We forged ahead and we were so thankful we were able to complete the series as planned."
Wright said she did not have a personal relationship with Spacey, explaining: "We were co-workers – we never socialised outside of work. He was so great with me. Never disrespectful to me. That's my personal experience. That is the only thing I feel I have the right to talk about."
Elsewhere in the interview, she added: "Kevin and I knew each other between action and cut, and in between set-ups where we would giggle. I didn't really – I didn't know the man. I knew the incredible craftsman that he is."
"Kevin and I knew each other between action and cut."— TODAY (@TODAYshow) July 8, 2018
Watch a preview of @SavannahGuthrie’s exclusive conversation with @RealRobinWright about Kevin Spacey and @HouseofCards. Tune in tomorrow for full interview. pic.twitter.com/9jCUnyVd0e
When asked if she has reached out to Spacey, she replied: "No, I haven't heard from him and I don't even know how to reach him."
Wright is returning to the sixth and final season of the political drama House of Cards in the leading role of Claire Underwood.
Production on the sixth season was suspended in October last year after Star Trek: Discovery actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of making a sexual advance towards him when he was 14.
Several House of Cards employees also accused Spacey of inappropriate behaviour, leading to Netflix officially cutting ties with the actor.
Police in London are currently investigating allegations of sexual assault which are made by men against Spacey. Spacey has denied the allegations.