/ Soccer

Italian striker apologises for slur

Updated: Wednesday, 13 Jun 2012 10:03 | Comments

Antonio Cassano has apologised for his homophobic comments
Antonio Cassano has apologised for his homophobic comments

Italy striker Antonio Cassano has apologised after causing controversy by saying he hoped there were no homosexuals in the national team squad at Euro 2012.

In a statement released last night, Cassano said his comments had been misinterpreted and he did not want to cause offence.

"I sincerely regret that my statements have sparked controversy and protest from gay rights groups," said the statement on the official website of the Italian Football Federation.

"Homophobia is a sentiment that is not mine. I did not want to offend anyone and I can not question the sexual freedom of other people."

At a press conference yesterday, Cassano had responded to questions about reports in Italy which claimed there were two homosexual players in Cesare Prandelli's 23-man Euro 2012 group.

"The (national) coach had warned me that you would ask me this question," Cassano said. "If I say what I think...I hope there are none. But if there are queers here, that's their business."

Cassano also spoke at the press conference of his surprise at even being at the European Championship after his unexpected health scare last year.

He returned to action in April for AC Milan following a six-month spell on the sidelines after undergoing minor heart surgery.

"I honestly didn't think I would play at the European Championship," Cassano said. "I was scared.

"When you arrive to a certain point where it is a case of live or die, everything else becomes secondary.

"I saw the future as grey, very grey, but fortunately I am here.

"I have been blessed, and even if I am not a believer I do feel I have been blessed."

While the player himself had doubts, Prandelli never gave up hope of getting the striker back in time for the tournament.

The 29-year-old Cassano had led the Azzurri in scoring with six goals in qualifying.

Moreover, Italy had already lost Villarreal forward Giuseppe Rossi to a serious knee injury.

"If there is one thing that saddens me about this European Championship it is that Giuseppe Rossi is not here," Cassano said. "He was very important to us."

Cassano, who started in Sunday's 1-1 draw to Spain in their Group C opener, is expected to lead Italy's attack against Croatia on Thursday.

Prandelli could opt to bench Manchester City forward Mario Balotelli in favour of Udinese's Antonio Di Natale.

Balotelli endured a frustrating afternoon against Spain before being substituted in the second half.

"It's not important who plays," Cassano said. "The only thing that matters is to beat Croatia in order to qualify for the next round.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use