Roscommon 1-09 Monaghan 2-10

Captain Conor McManus struck for a late goal to snatch victory for Monaghan by after an exciting Allianz Football League Division 1 encounter at Kiltoom.

Roscommon, back in Division One for the first time in 13 years, led by 1-05 to 0-02 at the break having played with the wind.

They looked good for at least a draw until McManus struck in the closing stages just after Monaghan had drawn level.

It was a tough blow for the home side who led by six points at the interval having played with the wind at rain at their backs. They deserved that advantage, making a major breakthrough eight minutes from the interval with a goal from the penalty spot.

It was a double blow to Monaghan as corner-back Ryan Wylie was black-carded when he pulled down Ciaran Murtagh. The latter then blasted the penalty into the bottom right corner of the next.

But he didn’t last until the interval as he himself picked up a black card after pulling down Monaghan corner-back Colin Walshe.

Roscommon, who won the toss, led by 0-04 to 0-00 after 17 minutes with Murtagh kicking two frees and Fintan Cregg landing one from the right.

The first score from play came when Enda Smith kicked an excellent from distance.

Conor McManus got the Farney off the mark with an excellent free into the wind from 40 metres after 20 minutes.

Goalkeeper Rory Beggan got their second score when he went forward to land a superb free from 45 metres.

But Fintan Cregg cancelled that just before the interval to leave them six points in front at the interval.

Senan Kilbride gave Roscommon a glorious start to the second-half when he pointed inside half a minutes.

But Monaghan struck a telling blow after 39 minutes when Dermot Malone found the net after a delivery from Neil McAdam to leave it 1-06 to 1-02.

Fintan Cregg responded for Roscommon but the visitors, despite shooting nine second-half wides, hit three in succession with Thomas Kerr getting two and McManus hitting a free to leave two between them going into the final quarter.

Cregg widened the gap to a goal but Roscommon managed just one more point after that.

Daniel McKenna, goalkeeper Beggan and a superb point from McAdam tied the match seven minutes from the end.

The home crowd thought they had won it when Cregg pointed a free from the right in the closing stages.

But Malone tied the match and then McManus pounced on the kick out to blast to the net before McKenna made the game safe with his second point.

Monaghan: R Beggan (0-02, 0-01 ’45, 0-01f); C Walshe, D Wylie, R Wylie; D Mone, F Kelly, K O’Connell; N McAdam (0-01), D Hughes; K Duffy, D Malone (1-01), O Duffy; S Carey, T Kerr (0-02), C McManus (1-02, 0-02f).

Subs used: C Boyle for R Wylie (28), D McKenna (0-02) for Carey (52), B McGinn for Duffy (59).

Roscommon: D O’Malley; S McDermott, N Collins, N McInerney; D Murray, N Daly, R Stack; E Smith (0-01), I Kilbride; C Devanney, N Kilroy, C Murtagh (1-02, 1-00 pen, 0-02f); F Cregg (0-05, 0-02f), S Kilbride (0-01), C Cregg.

Subs used: C Connolly for C Murtagh (34), U Harney for S Kilbride (52), R Daly for Kilroy (63), C Shine for Devanney (67), J McManus for C Cregg (69).