Walsh Cup: Galway off to winning start under new manager Donoghue

By Cóilín Duffy | Updated: Sunday, 10 Jan 2016 16:57 | Comments

Galway's Joe Canning battles with Eoghan O'Donnell of DCU
Galway's Joe Canning battles with Eoghan O'Donnell of DCU

There were wins for Galway, Dublin, Laois, IT Carlow and Wexford in the Walsh Cup.

Galway got off to a winning start under new manager Micheál Donoghue with a 1-16 to 0-17 win over DCU at Duggan Park, Ballinasloe.

The hosts were reduced to 14 men in the opening half, after a second yellow card for David Burke, but led by 1-06 to 0-04 at the break, with Joe Canning netting their goal.

Galway opened up a double scores lead on a 1-11 to 0-07 scoreline with 20 minutes remaining, and although DCU outscored their opponents by 0-10 to 0-05 over the remainder of the contest, the Tribesmen claimed victory.

Paul Ryan scored 1-10 as Dublin claimed a 3-25 to 1-17 win over Antrim in DCU.

Ryan’s fourth-minute goal gave the hosts an early springboard, but Eddie McCloskey netted for Antrim.

The sides were level on four occasions in the opening half, but Dublin led 1-11 to 1-10 at the break.

However, second half goals from Sean O’Reilly [1-01] and Eamon Dillon [1-03] provided the platform for a Dublin win.

In the same group, Laois were 1-19 to 0-17 winners over UCD in Heywood Community School.

The sides were tied at 1-08 to 0-11 at half-time, with Eoghan Fennelly netting the hosts goal.

IT Carlow recorded a 2-15 to 0-14 win over Carlow at Netwatch Cullen Park.

IT Carlow led by 1-10 to 0-07 at half-time, and kept in front in the second half, with Martin Kavanagh netting the students second goal.

Wexford were 3-18 to 2-07 winners over Meath in Páirc Tailteann. Meath made a strong start, with an early goal helping them to a 1-02 to 0-03 lead after six minutes.

Wexford worked hard and held a 0-12 to 1-04 half-time advantage, with Ian Byrne scoring seven first half points, including six from frees.

The visitors may have held a five-point interval lead, but they would have been further ahead but for the excellent display of Meath goalkeeper Shane McGann.

Meath cut the gap to three points with a brace of James Toher points, but goals from Ian Byrne with a penalty on 49 minutes and Harry Kehoe saw Wexford push 2-14 to 1-06 ahead entering the final quarter.

A kicked Ciaran Fitzsimons goal saw Meath cut the deficit to six points with nine minutes remaining, however Wexford were clinical and fired another goal to take a 14-point win.

User contributions and/or comments do not, unless specifically stated, represent the views of RTÉ.ie or RTÉ.
Click here for Terms of use