Noraid the fundraising wing of the Irish Republican Army (IRA) are having a growing influence over St Patrick's Day festivities in America.
- Title Politicization of St Patrick's Day in the USA
- 1st Broadcast 16/03/1983
- ContributorPat Cox (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:01:50
- Material Type Video
- Series title Today Tonight
- Clip title The Politicization of St Patrick's Day in the USA
- Extended description
A report for 'Today Tonight' on the political influence Noraid, the fundraising wing of the Irish Repubican Army (IRA) now have in the USA over St Patrick's Day festivities.
Michael Flannery an 81 year old IRA member is the Grand Marshall of the New York City parade this year. Many Irish and US dignitaries have withdrawn their support from the parade this year.
RTÉ reporter Pat Cox outlines the once innocent nature of the parade in NYC with majorettes and marching bands.
Saint Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland and his feast day is celebrated on March 17th. It is widely celebrated amongst Irish Americans.
'Today Tonight' was a RTÉ current affairs programme covering events at home and abroad. The series began broadcasting on Monday, 6 October, 1980 and ran for 12 years until 1992.
Edited by Joe Mulholland, the original presenters included Barry Cowan, Brian Farrell and Olivia O'Leary. 'Today Tonight' aired from Monday to Thursday on RTÉ One.
- Local keywords St Patrick's Day, New York City, Noraid, IRA, Irish Repubican Army, Michael Flannery, Irish America, Parade, USA, America
- Geographical coverage New York, America, USA, United States of America, Ireland
- Topic National Holidays, Festivals, Anniversaries, Annual Events
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 1983
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier P149/00083
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Emigrants Home for St Patrick's Day
Broadcast - 20/03/1989
Clip Length - 00:03:47
Foot and Mouth Leads to Parade Cancellations
Broadcast - 17/03/2001
Clip Length - 00:01:44
The Politicization of St Patrick's Day in the USA
Broadcast - 16/03/1983
Clip Length - 00:01:50
Party for Street Children in Rio de Janeiro
Broadcast - 17/03/2006
Clip Length - 00:01:46
"North Seem To Be Rebels, South Seem To Be Leprechauns"
Broadcast - 15/03/1980
Clip Length - 00:04:10
Fireworks at Rock of Cashel
Broadcast - 15/03/2008
Clip Length - 00:01:00