With money in the bank and windfall gains to the public finances, the government set out to reward workers and encourage further spending in the economy.
- Title Minister for Finance in a More Generous Position
- 1st Broadcast 01/12/2006
- ContributorGeorge Lee (Reporter)
David Davin Power (Reporter)
Anne Doyle (Newsreader)
- Clip Duration 00:04:21
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title The Big Giveaway
- Extended description
With just days to go before the budget for 2007, the Minister for Finance is now in a position to be more generous with the forthcoming budget. There has been a €4.9 Billion improvement in public finances compared to the budget target for the year.
Minister for Finance, Brian Cowen, speaking to RTÉ News about these windfall gains says he plans to reward work in the budget and ensure that workers benefit from the positive public finances. An Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern describes the public finances as the culmination of good economic management.
Anne Doyle introduces two RTÉ News reports from George Lee and David Davin-Power.
- Local keywords Memorable Budgets, Budget, 2007, Brian Cowen, George Lee, David Davin Power, Bertie Ahern
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 2006
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier BN06/335
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 16:9 (widescreen)
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
- 1970: Budget Without A Minister
- 1976: Minister for Hardship
- 1980: Living Beyond Our Means
- 1982: VAT On Children's Shoes
- 1984: "A Dreary Non-Event"
- 1987: 'Mac The Knife'
- 1991: First Televised Budget
- 1992: Bertie's First Budget
- 1995: Rainbow Budget
- 2000: Giveaway Budget
- 2004: Decentralisation
- 2007: A Generous Package
- 2011: The Final Fianna Fail Budget
- 2012: Spending Cuts and Tax Hikes