Albert Reynolds delivered the first televised budget speech to the Dáil in 1991.
- Title First Televised Dáil Report
- 1st Broadcast 30/01/1991
- ContributorDonal Kelly (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:02:47
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title First Televised Dáil Report
- Extended description
Albert Reynolds delivered the first televised budget speech to the Dáil in 1991. Due to the Gulf War, this was a time of international economic uncertainty, and he introduced few changes. The top rate of income tax was cut to 52%, and social welfare benefits were increased by 4%. An extra 10p was added to the price of a packet of 20 cigarettes, but the price of alcohol remained the same.
Regular televised coverage of the Dáil began with the 1991 budget. Here is the RTÉ News report featuring the first televised budget speech by Minister Albert Reynolds and the responses of the leaders of the opposition.
A RTÉ News report by Donal Kelly showing the first televised Dáil speech on 30 January 1991.
- Local keywords Memorable Budgets, Budget, 1991, Albert Reynolds, Television, Dáil, Politics, Economics, Michael Noonan, Prionsias De Rossa, Ruairi Quinn
- Geographical coverage Ireland, Dublin
- Genre News
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1991
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier NB91/030
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- 1970: Budget Without A Minister
- 1976: Minister for Hardship
- 1980: Living Beyond Our Means
- 1982: VAT On Children's Shoes
- 1984: "A Dreary Non-Event"
- 1987: 'Mac The Knife'
- 1991: First Televised Budget
- 1992: Bertie's First Budget
- 1995: Rainbow Budget
- 2000: Giveaway Budget
- 2004: Decentralisation
- 2007: A Generous Package
- 2011: The Final Fianna Fail Budget
- 2012: Spending Cuts and Tax Hikes