Samuel Devenney had been beaten by police officers at his home in William Street, Derry on 19 April 1969. He died from his injuries on 17 July and his funeral was covered by journalists from around the world.
- Title Funeral of Samuel Devenney
- 1st Broadcast 20/07/1969
- Clip Duration 00:00:45
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Funeral of Samuel Devenney
- Extended description
This report shows an estimated 15,000 people attending the funeral procession from the Devenney home to the city cemetery. The funeral procession lines the streets of Derry and mourners look on as the coffin is lowered into the grave.
RTÉ News reports on the funeral of Samuel Devenney broadcast on 20 July 1969.
- Local keywords Northern Ireland 1969, Growing Tension, Samuel Devenney, William Street, Derry, Londonderry, Funeral
- Geographical coverage Ireland, Derry
- Topic Wars and Conflict
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1969
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier BA794
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mute
- Aspect ratio 4:3