Barry Linnane seeks the views of Catholics and Protestants on the election of their new Prime Minister.
- Title Election of Chichester-Clark
- 1st Broadcast 01/05/1969
- ContributorBarry Linnane (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:01:51
- Material Type Audio
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Reaction from Derry on Chichester-Clark
- Extended description
Barry Linnane has been out talking to the people of Bogside and Fountain Street. Neither side of the divide seems enthused by the appointment.
In the Catholic Bogside, most expressed indifference or dislike for the newly elected Chichester-Clarke. And again in the Protestant Fountain Street, disappointment is also expressed with the outcome. From those that Linnane spoke to, it appears none of them would have been happy with either Major Chichester-Clark or Brian Faulkner.
A RTÉ News report by Barry Linnane on the election of Chichester-Clark as the new premier of Northern Ireland.
This report was broadcast on 1 May 1969.
The accompanying image shows Roy Bradford, Chief Whip of the Unionist Party, announcing Major Chichester-Clark as the new leader on 1 May 1969.
- Local keywords Northern Ireland 1969, New Prime Minister, Barry Linnane, Catholic, Protestant, Bogside, Fountain Street, Chichester-Clark, Brian Faulkner, Derry, Londonderry
- Geographical coverage Ireland, Derry
- Genre News
- Topic Wars and Conflict
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1969
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier QNX002198
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item sound Mono
- Language used English (eng)