John McAnerney, Secretary of the Northern Ireland Civil Rights Association (NICRA), talks to Ronnie Turner about the RUC's decision to stop their march in Armagh.
- Title Interview with NICRA Secretary
- 1st Broadcast 02/12/1968
- ContributorRonnie Tuner (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:01:20
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title McAnerney Blames Craig for March Not Taking Place
- Extended description
The RUC's decision to stop the march was because of a simultaneous loyalist counter-demonstration.
McAnerney says that the march was obstructed by armed hooligans. He said that the NICRA cooperated fully with the police but were still unable to march. McAnerney also points the blame at the Minister for Home Affairs, William Craig.
A RTÉ News report by Ronnie Turner, who speaks to John McAnerney about the civil rights march.
This report was broadcast on 2 December 1968.
- Local keywords Civil Rights Movement, Northern Ireland, Civil Rights Association, NICRA, Civil Rights, John McAnerney, Ronnie Turner, Armagh, Loyalist, 1968
- Geographical coverage Ireland, Northern Ireland, Armagh
- Genre News
- Topic Wars and Conflict
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1968
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier N2130/0068D
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
McAnerney Blames Craig for March Not Taking Place
Broadcast - 02/12/1968
Clip Length - 00:01:20
"I haven't said that I am not in favour of one man, one vote"
Broadcast - 03/12/1968
Clip Length - 00:05:01
"...I can prove conclusively that this was not an unlawful assembly"
Broadcast - 03/12/1968
Clip Length - 00:06:44
"...the mere puppets of the fat-bellied bishops of Maynooth"
Broadcast - 08/12/1968
Clip Length - 00:04:07