Thousands of people explore the option of emigrating at a jobs fair in Dublin in 2012.
- Title Thousands Attend Working Abroad Expo
- 1st Broadcast 04/03/2012
- ContributorJoe Mag Raollaigh (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:01:47
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Thousands Look To Go Abroad For Work
- Extended description
With the country in the grip of recession thousands of people explore the option of emigrating at a jobs fair at the RDS in Dublin. Canadian and Australian employers and recruiters are looking for workers in various disciplines.
With so much interest the queue at one stage extends out of the RDS Simmonscourt venue and onto the nearby streets. Stephen McLarnon director of the exhibition says the organisers are surprised at the numbers of people attending.
Thousands of people visit the exhibition stands offering information on job opportunites abroad. Many do not want to be interviewed on television in case their current employer sees them. Others do not want to be seen because they have not yet told their families they are considering emigrating.
Among those who do talk to reporter Joe Mag Raollaigh are Martin and Carmel McGuire from Drogheda.
- Local keywords Emigration, Employment, Unemployment, Economy, Jobs, RDS, Exhibition, Expo, Martin McGuire, Carmel McGuire, Stephen McLarnon
- Geographical coverage Dublin, Ireland
- Topic Society and Social Issues
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 2012
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier BN12/00064
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 16:9 (widescreen)
- Language used English (eng)
Emigration Once Again
Broadcast - 19/02/2009
Clip Length - 00:03:15
Emigration from Killasser
Broadcast - 29/08/1967
Clip Length - 00:12:57
"All The Men Will Be Leaving For England Again"
Broadcast - 01/11/1972
Clip Length - 00:02:48
Thousands Look To Go Abroad For Work
Broadcast - 04/03/2012
Clip Length - 00:01:47
The Irish in Munich
Broadcast - 11/07/1989
Clip Length - 00:03:21
Emigration Part of Our Irishness
Broadcast - 10/10/1967
Clip Length - 00:07:12