Derry City's Ciarán Coll has been released from hospital after suffering a horror fall in their clash with Bohemians on Friday night.

A statement on the club's Twitter account read: "The club would like to confirm that Ciarán Coll has been discharged from hospital following last night's injury concern."

Michael Hegarty from their medical team explained - "Ciaran was transferred to hospital and underwent the relevant medical tests last night during the game.

"Thankfully all tests were clear and Ciaran was allowed home.

"We will assess him over the coming days and he will get whatever help he requires. We would like to thank the emergency pitch-side team for their excellent work last night."

Coll started the game at left-back before being stretchered off.

Matchwinner Michael Duffy said that Coll had told his team-mates to secure the win before being stretchered off at the Ryan McBride Brandywell on Friday night.

The Candystripes defender appeared to fall on his neck after contesting an aerial ball during the first half of the game against Bohemians, which was delayed for over 15 minutes while he received medical attention.

Coll was reportedly unconscious for 10 minutes but was awake and speaking before being taken to hospital.

"He told the boys to go and get the three points before he left," Duffy told RTÉ Sport of the scare.

"So that was good, he was speaking and responding. I hope he's all good."

It was a 39th-minute moment of genius from Duffy that decided the contest, as he bent a first-time half-volley into the top corner of the Bohs net, in off the post.

"That was one is definitely up there," he said, the moment particularly sweet after a long injury absence.

"I’ve been thinking about that moment for a long time, since I signed, about celebrating in front of the fans. That felt brilliant.

"The ball was bouncing towards me, I was thinking of taking a touch and just changed my mind last minute. Lucky it went in."

The win brought Derry to within a point of leader Shamrock Rovers – albeit with two more games played – as the season enters its closing stages.

"We’ll be right at the whole way and take it game by game," said Duffy.

"We just have to focus on ourselves and move on to Tuesday [against Sligo]. It was a massive win for us."

Derry manager Ruaidhri Higgins saluted "A special goal from a special player. It decided the match.

"He was a huge loss for a large portion of the season and we’re delighted to have him back. He’s magic and can create moments out of nothing.

"That’s why we worked ever so hard to get him back here. He’s a brilliant talent and his number of goals and assists over the last number of years in this league have been phenomenal.

Higgins was happy with the result and determination shown by his side on a night when "it wasn’t a brilliant game of football".

"We didn’t pass the ball the way that we can but we looked threatening on the counter-attack.

"A month or two ago I don’t think we would have won that game. I think we’ve shown a side to us tonight where it wasn’t overly pleasing on the eye but we stuck at it and dug in.

"Brian Maher made a big save as well at 1-0 to keep us in the game. They didn’t create an awful lot but we were resolute."