Former Republic of Ireland international Jim Goodwin started his tenure as Aberdeen manager with a point from a 1-1 draw at Motherwell in the Scottish Premiership.

The Waterford native was confirmed as the Dons' manager early on Saturday after three years in charge at St Mirren.

The Dons took the lead just after the half-hour mark, with Vicente Besuijen netting his first goal for the club with a tap-in from Adam Montgomery's cross.

Motherwell found the equaliser in the second half after Mark O'Hara hit home from close range.

Ireland Under-21 midfielder Ross Tierney was an unused substitute for Motherwell.

Goodwin, who was "satisfied with the point, albeit not overly pleased because certainly Aberdeen expect to win and that is the bottom line", said he intended to keep former Celtic captain Scott Brown at the club: "I had a brief conversation with Scott last night as club captain.

"I said I am looking forward to meeting him on Monday at the training centre and that's where we are at.

"I know there's speculation but I don't know anything about it, I haven't been told anything about it.

"Right now, I am planning on Scott being a player for me between now and the end of the season.

"His title is there as player-coach. I am very hands-on on the training pitch and I haven't had time to look at the structure but I take the majority of sessions backed up by my assistant Lee Sharp.

"These are all conversations going forward but for now, Scott remains an Aberdeen player until somebody tells me different."

A Jake Doyle-Hayes double helped Hibernian earn their first win in seven league games after beating Ross County 2-0.

The midfielder from Cavan broke the deadlock five minutes into the second half with a goal from the edge of the area and added a second in the 78th minute to help Hibs move up to fourth in the table.

The 23-year-old Ballyjamesduff native has been capped once at Under-21 level for Ireland.

Hibernian's Jake Doyle-Hayes celebrates making it 2-0

St Johnstone pulled off a vital 2-1 win against third-placed Hearts to move off the bottom of the table.

Ali Crawford put the Saints in front just one minute in, but Hearts responded minutes later through Nathaniel Atkinson, who poked home a rebound from Barrie McKay's initial shot.

Jamie McCart scored the eventual winner in the 56th minute with a header to make it four games without a win for Hearts.

In their first match since Goodwin's departure as manager, St Mirren dropped down to seventh after their 1-1 draw with Livingston.

Bruce Anderson put the Lions ahead in the second half after hitting home a rebound from his first initial shot.

Greg Kiltie pulled one back for the Buddies with a shot from the edge of the box before team-mate Charles Dunne was dismissed in the 83rd minute with a straight red card.

Additonal reporting: PA