Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has confirmed returning star Cristiano Ronaldo will make his second Manchester United debut in Saturday's Old Trafford homecoming against Newcastle.

The 36-year-old returned to the club he shone for during six medal-laden seasons on deadline day, signing a two-year deal with the option of a further season.

Ronaldo, who scored twice against the Republic of Ireland last week, has been training with the club this week and will feature when Newcastle arrive at a bouncing Old Trafford in Saturday’s eagerly anticipated Premier League encounter.

"He’s been having a good pre-season with Juventus, he’s played for the national team, he’s had a good week with us here," the United boss said.

"He will definitely be on the pitch at some point, that’s for sure."

Asked about Ronaldo’s first few days back at the club, Solskjaer said: "Yeah, he’s been good. Of course we’ve followed his career from afar since he left here and I think everyone’s very, very happy to have him back.

"He can speak for himself but he seems like he’s happy to be back as well.

"The mood’s been very good, he’s worked well and we’re looking forward to Saturday, of course."

Cristiano Ronaldo (R) signing his contract beside manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Newcastle boss Steve Bruce is hoping his players can spoil the former Real Madrid and Juventus star’s big afternoon.

Bruce said: "Listen, it’s always going to be tough and obviously the added spice of Ronaldo coming back has added to it.

"But make no mistake, they’ve got quality players all over the pitch, so whenever you go to Old Trafford, the one thing you’re going to have to do is enjoy the challenge of playing against one of the big, big teams of this country and relish the opportunity to go and see if we can spoil the party a bit.

"That’s the big challenge to us all, of course, the ability for all of us to enjoy upsetting the apple cart and going and making it as difficult an afternoon as we possibly can for Ronaldo or Manchester United or the rest of them.

"They’ve got quality players all over the pitch and it’s one of those where you should really, really relish the challenge that’s coming and I hope we respond to it and really have a good go at it."

United’s recapture of Ronaldo has been the talk of football since news of their sensational swoop emerged a fortnight ago and Bruce is in little doubt as to what he will bring to the mix.

He said: "You’re not going to be voted the best player in the world for… him and (Lionel) Messi have dominated that stage now for the last 15 years, is it?

"He’s been quite a remarkable player, how he’s looked after himself. The goals he’s scored at every club he’s played for is quite remarkable.

"That, quite rightly in my opinion, makes him the best player in the world. It’s a terrific signing by Manchester United.

"It’s quite an incredible story of him going back and I’m sure they could have sold out Old Trafford 10 times over if they wished. It’s been quite remarkable."

Ronaldo, who won three Premier Leagues and the Champions League during a six-year spell at Old Trafford between 2003 and 2009, has insisted he has not come back for "a vacation" and Bruce is convinced he and fellow summer signings Raphael Varane and Jadon Sancho make the club genuine title contenders this season.

He said: "They were second last year and have brought in three quality players, so they’ve got to be there or thereabouts. That’s what the demands of Manchester United are, they’ve got to be in and around it, and they hope that they can have a good run at it.

"It will be difficult of course, with City and Chelsea and the strength of a lot of teams, but they’ve given themselves a hell of an opportunity."

Miguel Almiron (R) has been cleared to play

Miguel Almiron is available for Newcastle amid an ongoing debate over a collective decision by Premier League clubs not to allow South American players to travel to countries on the UK Government’s Covid-19 red-list.

Almiron did not meet up with the Paraguay squad for their World Cup qualifiers against Ecuador, Colombia and Venezuela last week, and it was understood that the Paraguay Football Association had asked FIFA to invoke its five-day rule, meaning he would not be allowed to play for the Magpies this weekend.

However, Bruce said this morning: "It’s a difficult one for the players, very, very difficult because all they want to do is play football.

"The ultimate is to play for your country – and I can understand that – and of course play on a Saturday, so they’ve been drawn into a very difficult situation.

"However, a bit of common sense has prevailed with Almiron that he’s available, so we’re extremely pleased that that he’s available for selection."

Bruce added that British Government intervention might be required to prevent a repeat next month.

He said: "The international breaks are always a difficulty for everybody. You've got players playing all over the world and you’re just watching to see if they’ve picked up an injury, whether they’re playing or whether they’re not, and especially now with the Covid and all the rest of it. It’s very, very difficult.

"It is what it is, but it’s been even more difficult this time, especially with the South Americans involved going to countries which are red-listed.

"Maybe the Government has to get involved the next time."